Wednesday 28 November 2012

Isobel's TEFL blog


If there were desks at language teaching college Ireland, we would probably all spend most of our time hiding under them. Tony, our TEFL tutor is quite fierce.Fortunately, the authorities at language teaching college Ireland have cleverly designed chairs with inbuilt tables, too small to conceal a person, in order to rid pupils of any such notion.

   However, Tony ,despite being strict is, in my opinion, a very good teacher. I find I am learning the art of teaching English as a foreign language very quickly. I am extremely grateful to the college for giving us this tuition, which would otherwise cost a lot of money.

   Grammar recap is something that we have covered this week in TEFL. This is not so that we can drill the Indian students on their English grammar, but so that at least we will know whether we ourselves are speaking English absolutely correctly. I found it a rather humiliating experience to discover how little I really know about my own language.

   We are also learning to communicate the English language to students through nursery rhymes, songs and stories, using imagery (drawing on the board), miming and clarity of speech. I am finding this an exiting and beneficial experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment