Monday 5 November 2012

Christian's Carpentry Log



In the last five days I have made four trusses, twelve rafters, and supports for all the trusses
Over the last five days my confidence has built immensely, I felt more confident with the tools with every day that passed.
My general confidence in myself has also risen greatly. 
My relationship with my uncle is much better, we are now much closer and he has also offered to give me a job during the summer if he has a big project that he needs help with. This shows me that he feels I am ready for more complicated carpentry and calculations. I think he feels he can trust me because he is entrusting me with his tools that cost him thousands of pounds.
He has taught me a lot of technical words and slang words for what is what in the world of carpentry. He also showed me traditional numbering that goes back thousands of years, these traditional numerals have to be carved into the wood very carefully.
He also taught me how to drive a forklift and how to store timber properly and carefully, using bearers to hold the wood up so it can be picked up again, if needed, by the forklift.
My uncles employer, Daniel, showed me, on his computer how to order and sell wood and how to create a contract for a client, I thought this was very interesting but I do not think it would the job for me.
Picture of truss I made
This whole experience has lead me to believe that I might go into my uncle's line of work as carpenter, I think I may, in the future do an apprenticeship with him and then try an create my own traditional oak carpentry company.
I found working with my uncle very exhilarating and exciting and I would with out a doubt do it all over again.
This is Christian Devine....... logging out 

No comments:

Post a Comment