Monday 5 November 2012

Isabelle Andrews McCarroll's Architecture Blog



I did my work experience at MVK architect's office. My employers day started at nine and finished at six so that was the schedule I followed while working there. The address of MVK architects was 19 Fitzwilliam square, which was a very pleasant location overlooking the park, though it took some time for me to find on the first morning- I cycled around the square approximately 34 times.
Using the intercom for the first time to let my employers know i had arrived (a bit late) was a very intimidating experience but one which I soon got used to as i had to contact them through it at least twice a day.
Michael and Victoria Kavanagh were very welcoming and had set out a schedule for my week. My first day was dedicated to model making, which is part of an architects work. the model was of an old cottage, a renovated school house, in county Galway. After my first three or four attempts, Mr Kavanagh found that my model was almost recognisable as the cottage mentioned above.
On the next day, Tuesday, I embarked on a new project (had two main projects for the week). This project was design based. A site very near to the old school house I was modelling. This site was really a ruined cottage with sheds which Mrs Kavanagh was interested in renovating and extending. This involved locating historical and modern maps of the site and getting them to scale (using the office photocopier, which is almost as confusing as the school one) in order to compare and trace them before getting started on designing. in the afternoon, Mrs Kavanagh took me with her to UCD to see a presentation by her 1st year landscape architecture students.
I went to UCD again on Wednesday with Mrs Kavanagh to see another presentation, this time by fourth year students, on urban forestry. I talked to some of the students and they showed me their portfolios for the year. I found these university trips to be very beneficial for me as they gave me an impression of the process of becoming an architect. Thursday and Friday were dedicated to finishing my model and plans for the ruined site. I have the evidence of these completed projects in hard copy.

Isabelle at MKV Fitzwilliam Sq

I found my employers, Michael and Victoria Kavanagh to be very helpful and kind. they gave up a lot of their time to help and guide me and always kept me busy with interesting and captivating work. I'm really glad to have done my work experiance here even if I don't follow a career in architecture, I feel I now have a great appreciation of the art of structure design. I owe this to my employers.

No comments:

Post a Comment